A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor

Click here to try the editor

Update: Up-Goer Six can colour code text you have already written. Thesaurus added to UG5, it’s from here with credit to jbonhag.

Update2: Now available in Norsk and Español + Español 5K.

A few months ago Randall Munroe from xkcd drew a beautiful labelled diagram of the Saturn V rocket. However, it was not titled Saturn V because Mr Munroe had decided the diagram would use only the thousand most common words in the English language to try to explain how this complex vehicle worked, hence ‘Up-Goer Five’.

Seeing the contortions he endured to express himself in this restricted format, but the increased clarity it sometimes gave, I thought it would be interesting to try out writing with it myself. I hacked together an editor which would complain if you used any word not on a particular list.

Now, what list to use? Of course which words are used depends very much on what you are reading. Newspapers will be different to scientific papers, which will be different to novels. In the end I opted for consistency with the original comic. Some sleuthing by xkcd fans revealed that Mr Munroe used the contemporary fiction frequency list available on Wiktionary. (To make this tool maximally useful, a more rounded set of words like this might be better.) I used the Automatically Generated Inflection Database to make sure I had every derivative of these 1000 words – leading to some odd words like ‘themselveses’ being allowed!

I decided I might as well let everyone else try it, and gave it a bit of visual sprucing. Since then I’ve added a couple more features, like the ability to see what other people have been writing with the [RANDOM] button, and the ability to define terms using ‘quotes’. But it remains a very basic page.

After lying fairly dormant for a while it really took off today, after scientists on Twitter started trying to describe their research using it, under the hashtag #UpGoerFive. Some of these early ones were combined in poikiloblastic‘s Storify:

I thought I’d dash off a post, mostly to answer endless discussions about why the words allowed are the ones they are. Check out the latest uses at #UpGoerFive!

224 Responses to “A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor”

1. Adeus Rugas says:

This article is muudando my point of view thank you

2. Harrywhide says:

HarrywhidePM

3. Chicago is often a large city of Illinois State in USA and the third mostly populous capital of
    scotland – the country. Some details ought to be reviewed like the undeniable fact that
    a contractor that’s in charge of focusing on portion of a structure must adhere to the regulation for the entire structure.
    different kinds of insurance varies.

my page texas criminal background check form

4. ou acheter une bombe lacrymogène…

A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor « Splasho…

5. Neste caso especifico do tratamento de rugas, a sua função é precisamente essa de promover a produção de colagénio, regenerando a pele e consequentemente preenchendo as rugas, e ao mesmo tempo conferindo elasticidade added para que
    as mesmas rugas se mantenham distantes.

6. Adeus Rugas says:

7. The contribution is calculated using the monthly salary received by the employees and also the rates for
    different kinds of insurance varies.

8. Taking the Up-Goer Five challenge: making lots of stuff while making some money

9. Some details ought to be reviewed like the undeniable fact that

10. Here’s my attempt to describe what I do only using the 1000 most common English words. Good thing rock is one of them.

11. nba jersey says:

You have brought up a very great points, thanks for the post.

My weblog nba jersey

12. Muito show seu site vc fez um post interessante. Obrigado e Sucesso.

13. There’s certainly a lot to learn about this topic. I
    love all the points you made.

14. Usually I do not read post on blogs, however I wish
    to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a
    look at and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me.
    Thank you, very nice article.

15. It’s an remarkable paragraph designed for all the web visitors; they
    will get advantage from it I am sure.

16. Sergiopayof says:

???????? ??????????? ???????? ??????? ????? ?????? kai230361

17. This website is my inspiration, rattling great style and Perfect content.

18. Rayna says:

Me surpreendeu, gostei das informações este site é maravilhoso.

19. I thought I’d dash off a post, mostly to answer endless discussions about why the words allowed are the ones they are. Thanks

20. If you are going for most excellent contents like I
    do, simply pay a visit this web site all the time as it gives quality
    contents, thanks

21. É um parágrafo notável projetado para todos os visitantes da web.
    Eles terão vantagem com isso, eu tenho certeza.

22. I am glad that I discovered this blog, precisely the right information that I was
    looking for!

23. Juliesit says:

Hello friends!
    I am an official representative of private company which deals with all kinds of written work (essay, coursework, dissertation, presentation, report, etc) in short time.
    We are ready to offer a free accomplishment of written work hoping for further cooperation and honest feedback about our service.
    Send your work topics to our email: discount@edu-paper.com. This offer has limited quantities!!!