A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor

Click here to try the editor

Update: Up-Goer Six can colour code text you have already written. Thesaurus added to UG5, it’s from here with credit to jbonhag.

Update2: Now available in Norsk and Español + Español 5K.

A few months ago Randall Munroe from xkcd drew a beautiful labelled diagram of the Saturn V rocket. However, it was not titled Saturn V because Mr Munroe had decided the diagram would use only the thousand most common words in the English language to try to explain how this complex vehicle worked, hence ‘Up-Goer Five’.

Seeing the contortions he endured to express himself in this restricted format, but the increased clarity it sometimes gave, I thought it would be interesting to try out writing with it myself. I hacked together an editor which would complain if you used any word not on a particular list.

Now, what list to use? Of course which words are used depends very much on what you are reading. Newspapers will be different to scientific papers, which will be different to novels. In the end I opted for consistency with the original comic. Some sleuthing by xkcd fans revealed that Mr Munroe used the contemporary fiction frequency list available on Wiktionary. (To make this tool maximally useful, a more rounded set of words like this might be better.) I used the Automatically Generated Inflection Database to make sure I had every derivative of these 1000 words – leading to some odd words like ‘themselveses’ being allowed!

I decided I might as well let everyone else try it, and gave it a bit of visual sprucing. Since then I’ve added a couple more features, like the ability to see what other people have been writing with the [RANDOM] button, and the ability to define terms using ‘quotes’. But it remains a very basic page.

After lying fairly dormant for a while it really took off today, after scientists on Twitter started trying to describe their research using it, under the hashtag #UpGoerFive. Some of these early ones were combined in poikiloblastic‘s Storify:

I thought I’d dash off a post, mostly to answer endless discussions about why the words allowed are the ones they are. Check out the latest uses at #UpGoerFive!

135 Responses to “A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor”

1. The business focus will likely to be on user friendliness and ensuring brand new people can enter the group easily and without
    arcane understanding.

2. Marlon says:

Highy descriptive post, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

Here is mmy site Angle Bracket (Marlon)

3. Whoa! This blog looks exactky like my old one! It’s on a tltally different
    subject but it haas pretty much the same layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

4. [...] used the “The Up-Goer Five text editor” built by Theo Anderson (@TheoSanderson) who was inspired by Randall Munroe’s beautiful labelled diagram of the Saturn V rocket. Anderson’s goal [...]

5. [...] the comic also inspired Cambridge-based geneticist Theo Sanderson to create a basic online text editor that would only allow use of the same word list Munroe used in the Up Goer Five [...]

6. Dork Fizzy says:

Randall’s new book, Thing Explainer, does not work in the up goer five editor. It does not like “explainer” as a derivative of “explain.”

7. Hey Your website loads up really slow for my situation,
    I don’t know who’s issue is that although wikipedia starts up really good.
    Anyway, Thank you for placing such type of great articles.
    I’m guessing it really has become helpful to plenty of people .
    I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a lot more remarkable stuff and I should compliment
    simply by saying you’ve done amazing writing.
    I already have you book marked to check out new stuff you publish.

8. Cornwall vacation cottages are a fabulously versatile alternative
    of accommodation and many are dog friendly too.

9. DiscoveredJoys says:

Ok… I wondered how ancient wisdom and poems might be rendered.

One of many translations of Li Bai’s classic poem In The Mountains is:

You ask me why I live
    In jade mountains.
    I smile, unanswering.
    My heart is calm.
    Peach petals floating on the water,
    Never come back.
    There is a heaven and earth
    Beyond the crowded town below.
    – Li Bai (701-762)

And in Up Goer 5:
    You ask me why I live
    In Big Green Rocks.
    I smile, making no reply.
    My heart is calm.
    Tree bright color children carried on the water,
    Never come back.
    There is a bright land
    Other than the crowded town at the bottom.

10. DiscoveredJoys says:

…and a blend of Epicurus and Zen:

live the good life
    enough is enough
    sit still, don’t chase thoughts
    don’t listen to others
    look for the good
    do good
    feel good

11. rack audio says:

This means making sure you stop negative thoughts the moment
    they arise and shift them into something positive as quickly as possible.
    This article will discuss the two types of whole body vibration machines.
    Once I used it to deal with a man who was aggressive towards me verbally.

12. Because of this any spells which are used in order
    to hurt a residing being is forbidden.

13. If you happen to want extra, look through your physics guide and full further problems to cement your understanding.

14. Apostilles can’t be issued or accepted by any
    country that’s not social gathering to the Apostille Conference.

15. There are two other ways in messages delivery and communication depending on completely different
    cultures.

16. Chuck says:

Thank you for another great arcltie. The place else may just anyone get that type of information in such a perfect way of ? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such info.

17. Taxa Auto says:

Buna abordare, asa mai zic si eu articol de calitate

18. American claims have used regulations regarding driver
    conduct around buses, including the likelihood of jail period as well as
    severe charges for passing a school bus that was stopped in the
    process of offloading children individuals. Crossing protections Additional nations might
    mandate the utilization of seat belts and these school vehicles function points like the university bus Like
    A minimum, many nations might additionally adopt liveries that are yellow, and demand a bus carrying learners to show
    a sign.

19. website says:

Possession/Cultivation: Patients might possess up to two and one-half (2.5) ounces of
    usable marijuana and twelve marijuana vegetation stored in an enclosed, locked facility.

20. The constant uncertainty of what is going to and will not go
    viral is what retains the engine of innovation going!

21. When a Wall Avenue agency builds a trading system,
    it is designed by stock market analysts after which back tested to close perfection earlier than it goes dwell.
    The majority of binary option robots give us no concept what the robot is programmed to do.
    For all we know, it might be just randomly generating trades.

22. Specialty Mobility Services – Working since 1992, SMS is a non-revenue organization that
    administers various Medicaid brokerage services, together with transportation in the State of Washington.

23. Tandra Ericson says:

Are you willing to share the editor to modify? I work with non-verbal students, many with cognitive issues. We teach core language focusing initially on the top 200 words and would like to share this as a resource for teachers to design lessons of more complex subjects with core language.

Thanks!

24. Just easy, straight to the point design.

25. Thanks to sites like Wix, Weebly and a handful of others,
    models can now reap the benefits of what are referred
    to as free website creators.” These websites supply
    all the tools it’s essential construct any kind of web
    site, whether or not it’s from a blank template to a premade one where you’ll
    be able to easily change textual content, photos and structure elements.
    Barbizon’s modeling curriculum follows the techniques utilized
    by high fashions.

26. So, expensive reader, picture the scene: a couple of days before my TEDx speak,
    I hit all-time low!

27. Segundo.- No se integrarán en la base imponible del Impuesto sobre Sociedades los incrementos de patrimonio conseguidos por las Sociedades Anónimas Deportivas
    y Clubes Deportivos que se pongan de manifiesto como consecuencia de la asunción por la Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional de deudas
    de las que fueren titulares unas y otros.

28. Sue Camp says:

Wow, that was hard. I’ve been taught by my university to write in plain English where possible. This was even harder. I’m not employed but a full time carer for my Mum. Therefore I thought this would be easy. Even words like cooking and cleaning were banned!

29. Payoneer Sign Up…

A bit more about the Up-Goer Five Text Editor « Splasho…

30. From 1998 to 2000, Rider taught English and overseas affairs at a senior high school in Osaka, Japan.

31. The need for a separate online retailer was more of a technical determination based on the difficulty of dealing with WebObjects again within the day.

32. Jim Agnew says:

Here’s my Up-Goer5 version of my job in Engineering Seismology:
    “We want to know how bad the rocks and houses shake. We set out shake-things that can tell us how much the rocks and houses shake. Then we look at what the things say when the rocks shake, and we tell other people about it. Everyone is happy that we can tell them something about it. Sometimes we can guess how bad the rocks and houses will shake in the next days, weeks, months, and years. The sad thing is that sometimes we can only get more money to buy new shake-things after the bad shakes have already happened.”

33. m_kurtz says:

This was really quite useful!

I’m not as tech savvy as it seems I might need to be to compile a complete list of the 1000 words and all related variations. I am an economics professor and would like to use the simple writer concept for class assignments, but I would like to write a program of my own to keep into the future (after some of the tools available now are taken down). Would you mind sharing your complete list with me? Or can i get some additional guidance on how to use the SCOWL database? Thanks!

34. In other states, both licensed and unlicensed designers could do inside design work,
    nevertheless only licensed designers could use the title inside
    designer.

35. Networking is extraordinarily important for achievement in advertising, so you
    should definitely be a part of clubs similar to PRSSA or KU Advertising Club.