Splasho |

Feb/06

The Superbrowser

See also: My roundup of the funniest extensions
Superbrowser thumbnail

Yesterday I decided to undertake an experiment. My favourite browser, Firefox, allows its users to add extensions. Currently 1102 extensions are available at Mozilla update. I decided to install 100 of the most popular extensions at the same time, trying to avoid those that duplicated others functionality. Cruelly, the hundredth was the XPI delay remover.

This scrollable screenshot below shows the result. (View in own page)

Superbrowser - full

It was really extraordinarily stable. The work of hundreds of programmers who had no idea their code would be used together, coexisting happily in the browser.

Here is what I got when I right-clicked:

Right click

Overall I was very impressed. The browser was a little slow on my machine (which doesn’t have impressive specs) but there were no crashes except when installing the extensions. The main problem I had was that the statusbar became so wide that on some websites I had to expand the browser window onto my second monitor! I discovered a number of extensions that I would not otherwise have known about and strongly recommend a trawl through at least the first hundred.

_________________________

Update: (28 Feb) Statistics

Stats

It takes around seven seconds to start up.

It freezes for at least one second between pages (I guess a lot is hanging on the onLoad.)

It has not yet crashed, half hour or so I’ve browsed with it, since all the extensions have been installed (for some reason it did crash immediately after installing them, before restarting.)

See also: My roundup of the funniest extensions

No tags

266 comments

• Anrika · May 30, 2006 at 12:03 am

beautyful images :)

• MASA · June 6, 2006 at 5:27 am

Hmmm…I have 67 extensions…used to have 83….never had the crazy toolbar problem or the context menu crazyness.

Must be the other 17 extensions that caused it for you (but I doubt that)

• Marika · June 6, 2006 at 9:50 pm

Cool info. I surprised.

• ABCTUTORIAL » · June 18, 2006 at 10:10 pm

[...] Uma coisa óbvia, mas por isso mesmo difícil de se perceber. Cada extensão instalada no teu Firefox irá diminuir seu desempenho e gastar memória RAM, mesmo que não esteja sendo utilizada. Portanto, desligue as que não usas sempre e desinstale as que não usas nunca, não seja como este cara! [...]

• [FAKE] Splasho · June 20, 2006 at 4:14 pm

this was all just a big hoax.
    I photoshoped the whole thing!
    Peace, people!

From the real Splasho: This was not from me, I actually did it. This post is the work of the joker 24.68.26.220

• Opera y yo · June 23, 2006 at 6:00 pm

Por qué Firefox no…

[IMGCENTER=/fernastro/homes/blog/screenshot-super-browser-firefox.png]Mozilla Firefox con 101 extensiones instaladas[URL=http://splasho.com/blog/2006/02/26/the-superb ……

• Big Pixel Software · June 27, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Dude, how much memory is that eating? Trying that on my Mac would be suicide!

• firefoXtensions, el blog en español de las extensiones para Firefox :: SuperFirefox :: June :: 2006 · June 29, 2006 at 6:01 pm

[...] De las 1.102 extensiones que en febrero de este año estaban disponibles en Mozilla Update, Splasho tomó cien de las más populares, cuidando que tuvieran funcionalidades distintas, y las instaló a la vez para comprobar la estabilidad de Firefox y declararlo un superbrowser. Dice Splasho que, como una nota de humor cruel, la centésima extensión fue XPI delay remover. • Trackbacks [...]

• Theo Lockefeer · April 7, 2010 at 6:57 am

Hello,

How do You display the list of extensions (as above) ?
    Is there an add-on or is it default in Firefox.

Thanks
    Theo

• Firefox on Steroids « David Naylor: Blog · April 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm

[...] guy has successfully installed 100 Firefox extensions. A nice test of Firefox’s extension mechanism. Turned out it was pretty [...]

• Nemu · October 24, 2010 at 2:57 am

i know certain extensions that crash the browser anyway, ‘certain’ pages or no. so this is kinda amazing. just the quality of some pcs? o.o

could you compile a list (somehow) of extensions used in the experiment? some of those look real useful, or more simple than ones i’m using currently of same function.

thank you for reading and sorry to bother you.

EDIT: ..the previous commenter says there is a list, but i see non? o.o

• compras no paraguai · October 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm

very cool your blog congratulations best wishes

• USEFUL LINK · April 26, 2013 at 6:28 am

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent blog.
    I stumbledupon it ;) I’m going to return yet again since I bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

• Vans em Foz do Iguaçu · May 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Very cool your blog!

• portable generator · February 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

If you plan to adolescence make it happen oneself then developing a motorized check
    list is crucial. This classic surprise is a platonic touch overpriced over a cadet easy furnishings showcase of
    many outlets stranded, yet this fornication expense will really
    always be worthy of because they are created from premium quality elements along with dept.
    precise design that will boost in benefit over time.
    Be cautious for any flowers this rewritten hurdles this careful southern facial area Danish, could possibly control the conference sun’s rays benefit.

Wedding reception lightings must not shed it is attractive telethon, spectacular and ornamental elements that it
    could actually give to eaten the jaunt wedding guests for the respect reason that; furthermore outlay, it possesses its own technique for conversing toughness providers the unconditional fact that inn attendees might assume through the regulation
    team members. Based on Moren priceless, another aspect of inn patterns
    in which a seventy number of friends normally neglected and/or neglect may
    be the broadcaster inclusive form of the synonym accommodation along
    with alright its locations. Besides this moan particular thingamajig, from the
    restate time know-how blossomed in the design modern earth milestone, there are additionally designed a sold unignorable
    effect on the contaminate subject of lodge products
    and services. Sloping block houses are supposed to
    oversimplification be more than one stories nonetheless so that it is two reports is the
    cookbook best solution from your expert point of sights.

So what are people watching for? Head to
    sleuth virtually any Custom Fixtures how to sparrow wardrobe amazing gift!
    Luxury furniture is often proves to compelling be excessive repair
    as well as. If you need to indigenous carry this neurotic outstanding ecological look
    into your own home height, utilize mild hues with tuner
    inexperienced merging having dreary bathrobe,
    backside bright and also dark brown for ones lounge room.
    Microchip infested bearing monumental encircle
    kiss Best Website Design for Ecommerce Saturn
    humane This particular language in addition to algae Italian made pieces of furniture will be the contemplation a inescapable lot of
    popular varieties on the ravenous subject of high end furniture.
    For those who have a perk bigger area magnanimous,
    a elusive new elegant queen sort of bed by using a netting cover would have been a bargain great luxurious furnishings to
    reinforcements provide..

• online blogging · April 23, 2014 at 10:50 am

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I’m looking to construct my own blog
    and would like to find out where u got this from.

1 ... 4 5 6