Splasho |

Feb/06

The Superbrowser

See also: My roundup of the funniest extensions
Superbrowser thumbnail

Yesterday I decided to undertake an experiment. My favourite browser, Firefox, allows its users to add extensions. Currently 1102 extensions are available at Mozilla update. I decided to install 100 of the most popular extensions at the same time, trying to avoid those that duplicated others functionality. Cruelly, the hundredth was the XPI delay remover.

This scrollable screenshot below shows the result. (View in own page)

Superbrowser - full

It was really extraordinarily stable. The work of hundreds of programmers who had no idea their code would be used together, coexisting happily in the browser.

Here is what I got when I right-clicked:

Right click

Overall I was very impressed. The browser was a little slow on my machine (which doesn’t have impressive specs) but there were no crashes except when installing the extensions. The main problem I had was that the statusbar became so wide that on some websites I had to expand the browser window onto my second monitor! I discovered a number of extensions that I would not otherwise have known about and strongly recommend a trawl through at least the first hundred.

_________________________

Update: (28 Feb) Statistics

Stats

It takes around seven seconds to start up.

It freezes for at least one second between pages (I guess a lot is hanging on the onLoad.)

It has not yet crashed, half hour or so I’ve browsed with it, since all the extensions have been installed (for some reason it did crash immediately after installing them, before restarting.)

See also: My roundup of the funniest extensions

No tags

266 comments

• Simon · February 26, 2006 at 6:33 pm

never seen that done before, some of those plugins look usefull… are you going to supply a list?

• Admin comment by splasho · February 26, 2006 at 8:05 pm

Simon,
    Certainly many of them are very useful.
    They’re all downloadable from https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox
    I don’t think I’ll supply a list because these aren’t my favourite firefox extensions, just the most popular.
    I promise you there are 100 installed there though!

• The Ultimate Firefox Test: Installing Over 100 Extensions · February 26, 2006 at 11:53 pm

[...] News Source: Splasho’s Firefox Test Permalink [...]

• [Geeks Are Sexy] Tech. News · February 27, 2006 at 2:27 am

Ack! You have a diseased mind my friend :)

I have to admit that your experiment speaks quite well of firefox stability, but man, who would want a 10 pages long contextual menu?

Cheers!

Kiltak
    [Geeks Are Sexy] Tech. News

• Ahmer · February 27, 2006 at 3:30 am

Cool!

• Madison Parks · February 27, 2006 at 3:30 am

What was the memory usage on the browser with all of those running?

• Leandro Ardissone · February 27, 2006 at 3:36 am

Nice.. do you wiill provide a list of all the extensions installed?

And how much cpu and memory usage?

• Homo-Adminus Blog » The Superbrowser - Firefox with 100 extensions installed · February 27, 2006 at 3:37 am

[...] Some guy installed 100 very popular extensions on Firefox to stress test it! He says it did pretty well under the load – includes screenshots. [...]

• NotalesS · February 27, 2006 at 3:43 am

Hey what ext. did u use? can u list them

• Adam Plocher · February 27, 2006 at 3:54 am

How much memory was it taking up if you looked in Task Manager?

• Amed · February 27, 2006 at 4:02 am

Kool experiment, i saved pic.html as a wallpaper

• passwordmaker · February 27, 2006 at 4:04 am

Go PasswordMaker!

• Ang · February 27, 2006 at 4:05 am

nice!!

• Ivan Minic · February 27, 2006 at 4:06 am

Opera :)

• ffox user · February 27, 2006 at 4:09 am

god damn man get a life

• Nasef · February 27, 2006 at 4:14 am

• Thousand Blades · February 27, 2006 at 4:19 am

Not bad, I thought I had the most ext. Guess I am wrong.
    I have 32.

• abhinav · February 27, 2006 at 4:22 am

Nice experiment, I myself have 55 extensions installed in my Firefox browser. You should give some info about memory and cpu usage. The 100 most popular extensions for firefox are available at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&numpg=100&category=Popular

• Rob X. · February 27, 2006 at 4:29 am

You should have installed the Pimpzilla theme to top the whole thing off.

• Christopher Cope · February 27, 2006 at 4:33 am

great article.

“[Geeks Are Sexy] Tech. News Said,

February 27, 2006 @ 2:27 am

Ack! You have a diseased mind my friend :)

Cheers!

Kiltak
    [Geeks Are Sexy] Tech. News”

lol, anyone who uses ie…

• creative title here is John Jr · February 27, 2006 at 4:33 am

[...] This guy installed 100 extentions into his FireFox browser to test for stablitiy. Check out his right click menu! [...]

• Darknet · February 27, 2006 at 4:34 am

Man that’s pretty cool indeed, I have like 20 extensions and have problems with memory leaks..

• Clark · February 27, 2006 at 4:44 am

you, my friend, have officially been dugg

• David · February 27, 2006 at 4:45 am

Good stuff! Thanks for posting!

• Andrei Bazhgin · February 27, 2006 at 4:48 am

Hahaha, the thing about the XPI delay extentions if funny. Firefox should not load any extentions until they are required. Then no one can say it loads slower because of extensions (like that makes IE look better anyway…)

Firefox and Opera are good browsers though.

• abhin4v’s blog » Blog Archive » Splasho » The Superbrowser · February 27, 2006 at 5:03 am

[...] Splasho » The Superbrowser [...]

• Fosnez · February 27, 2006 at 5:11 am

Hmm.. Funny how most of the features in these “extensions” come standard in Opera….

• Godfrey Daniel · February 27, 2006 at 5:18 am

When setting up The Fox, always install MrTech’s Local Install first. Awesome features that make everything to do with other extensions that you install better and easier, including the ability to force compatibility of some extensions that would be un-installable and un-usable otherwise.

• Ben · February 27, 2006 at 5:19 am

You should post a link to download all of those at once, or is that a breach of copyright? Are the extensions automatically considered freely distributable since they are for Firefox?

• Luis · February 27, 2006 at 5:26 am

That is pretty crazy. I always liked firefox’s extensions, but I never liked them that much!

• Crossing · February 27, 2006 at 5:28 am

Not to be mean or anything, but at first glance I said ‘More like the SuperBloated Browser’. :p

• The Superbrowser - Firefox with 100 extensions installed at Useless Junk and Other things of Interest · February 27, 2006 at 5:43 am

[...] read more | digg story [...]

• jean’s Blog » The Superbrowser - Firefox with 100 extensions installed · February 27, 2006 at 5:56 am

[...] read more | digg story [...]

• DarkVektor · February 27, 2006 at 5:59 am

Not bad.. checking firefox’s stability… not bad at all…

Cheers

• ward · February 27, 2006 at 6:04 am

i have 10 extensions installed, lol

• blugreen · February 27, 2006 at 6:21 am

What is the name of the extension that puts the phrase “I am afraid! (H)” in the right-click menu? I’d like to try it.

• e-techblog.com » Firefox Superbrowser Pre-installed with 100 extensions - Infusing your Life With Daily Tech News · February 27, 2006 at 6:22 am

[...] Check out his experiment here Posted by e-tech | [...]

• Firefox: The Superbrowser Edition at GeekLike · February 27, 2006 at 7:33 am

[...] link [...]

• PsiliPharm · February 27, 2006 at 7:59 am

I have many of the top extensions installed, and I have used it regularly and I have had several crashes…it’s not unbearable…but annoying… I would say that it probably crashes twice as often on myspace than any other website…but it does happen on several different websites.

• Admin comment by splasho · February 27, 2006 at 8:19 am

The “I’m afraid extension” is the wonderful Anti Paranoia( https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=2001&application=firefox )

It displays reassuring “DON’T PANIC” messages, even when everything else is telling you your data may not be secure..

• TechZap » The Ultimate Firefox Test: Installing Over 100 Extensions · February 27, 2006 at 9:27 am

[...] News Source: Splasho’s Firefox Test [...]

• Firefox con 100 extensiones, Navegadores.org · February 27, 2006 at 9:38 am

[...] Podéis ver más imágenes en la entrada original. [...]

• Vincku · February 27, 2006 at 9:45 am

This is nuts! :-) But Bravo, I love it!
    I think the next step would be to create a horizontal smooth scrolling tool bar so that to keep everything on one-two lignes instead of 5. With all these extensions installed you cant see much of what you are browsing.

• realfiction’s weblog » Blog Archive » Amazing feat with Firefox · February 27, 2006 at 9:54 am

[...] Splasho, the superbrowser: So, there are many plugins for Firefox…what happens if you use a great deal of them together? Quite funny, but unfortunately no numbers on memory consumption… [...]

• ID34.com » Mozilla Firefox with 100 Extensions · February 27, 2006 at 10:57 am

[...] This person installed 100 extensions on his Mozilla Firefox install, have a look here. [...]

• Bakje.nl Jatlog » blog » Super Browser · February 27, 2006 at 11:03 am

[...] Je hebt mensen die snel tevreden zijn, maar d’r zijn ook van die mensen die nooit tevreden zijn. En dan neem je en firefox browser en je knalt er gewoon 100 extensions op. Het wordt wel eenbeetje druk op je scherm, maar je hebt voor bijna alles wel een oplossing bij de hand. Bij mij loopt FF nog niet eens met 5 extensions… [...]

• GreenAlien · February 27, 2006 at 11:07 am

If you still have it setup, then some resource stats would be great. I wonder how many of those extensions should really be part of the browser itself. Obviously not all should be (eg I see you have the Delicious extension, and weather) but I think Firefox would benefit from integrating more of these ideas into the core browser. Otherwise the problem is that they can easily break when updating the browser. For some reason Firefox with lots of extensions still feels streamlined, not in your face, and does exactly what you want when you want it, but Opera (which contains alot of these features by default) feels bloated and fiddly to use in comparison.

Nasef Said,
    “Well I’ve been using 112 extensions for almost a year now! It works just fine for me why should I be impressed with youres? Just because you have never actualy used them or customized them? or for the fact that you’ve like 20 menu over there ?? Get a life dude .. get a life..”

The difference is he just ran a stress test, and wrote up a short article to share with everyone, where as you add no value to the net whatsoever.

ffox user Said,
    “god damn man get a life”

Hmm, the problem with allowing people to comment freely is you always get a certain number of trolls that have nothing better to do than discredit other people’s effort. Hell with freedom of speech – just delete the trolls comments. They add no value to the net at all!

The fact that it’s been dugg to the homepage means people HAVE found this interesting/useful. If you don’t, then move along children.

• Persian Man · February 27, 2006 at 11:35 am

ha? hundreds of toolbars ! can you see your web page ?

• vipin sagar · February 27, 2006 at 12:22 pm

I love firefox… and I wish to spit and spread the fire…. I dont say ya are crazy…but the fOxy lady….

Hey….Has it “google Serach Preview extension”. Because I disable it out of my 14 extensions :) and I am pretty happy wih that number.
    “Spread the word….firefox”

~o_0~

~sagar

• foobar · February 27, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Not impressive. IE runs with a 100 spyware extensions everywhere.

1 2 3 ... 6